Sunday, August 02, 2009

Mending Fences

Every so often a repair project comes up at my home that seems so overwhelming I find myself pushing it to the back burner.
That was the case with my 18 year-old fence – 300 feet of 5 ft. high fence that was on the verge of falling down my steep hillside.
Over the years there were many “plugs” added to keep animals in…or out…of my yard. Boards were nailed to the bottom and rocks were used to block up holes.
In many places openings were dug UNDER the fence to allow the feral cats into my yard so they could get to their food.
There were many special memories attached to this fence. I was reluctant to let it go, but in my heart I knew it was time to say goodbye. I found the right people, and this past week my decayed, moss-covered, chewed-up fence came down and a brand new one went up.
It’s beautiful – a perfect backdrop for all the trees in my yard. As the boards were being attached I went around the perimeter with the crew, digging holes and moving rocks so the critters who need access can get in.
I’m happy to say that all the creatures who come and go seem to have adjusted.
And so have I.

Here’s to mending fences!

Chris

No comments: