Thursday, April 08, 2010

Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder – huh?

My yard was landscaped to attract birds.

However, all critters are welcome – birds, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, and pretty much anyone else who happens to wander through.

The squirrels are very aggressive feeders. They ferociously hold their ground, so birdies attempting to stop by for lunch are often scared off.

I decided to make one feeder squirrel proof. The bird store said this metal baffle was a winner, so that’s what I went with. As you can see, it hasn’t been successful.

I’ve tried bending the baffle and coating it with salad oil, but still those little squirrels find their around it.
There are squirrel-friendly feeders all around, but the squirrels seem to like my squirrel-proof one.

Any thoughts on how to make this one feeder truly for birds only?

Chris

No comments: