Monday, June 22, 2009

Here's to love!

Musicals – they’re my life! I don’t need to be wined and dined by a man – I just want him to kneel down and sing “If Ever I Would Leave You,” from Camelot!

So it is no surprise that yesterday, as I waited for the cable repair person to come and check the problems with my system, I was delighted to find that the musical Gigi was about to begin. I happily plunged into the delightful turn-of-the 20th century Parisian love story.


I cried and sang my way through the movie, right up until the last 20 minutes or so when the doorbell rang and the cable repairman had to temporarily turn off my cable box.

Thankfully, the diagnostics didn’t take long, and the cable guy and I were able to watch those last few moments of the movie that can turn any romantic into a blubbering idiot. (Note to self: next time wait until repairman leaves to watch ending of romantic movie.)

Suddenly, I wanted to know if Louis Jourdan, the male lead, was still with us. After all, Gigi came out in 1958! I ran to the computer and was overjoyed to learn that Mr. Jourdan is living in the south of France with his wife of 65 years. 65 years!!

Today would have been my 20th wedding anniversary. Perhaps that is why this love story hit me so hard.

On the other hand, I cry buckets and buckets of tears whenever I watch The Iron Giant, which may just be my favorite animated movie of all time. The giant sacrifices himself to save a small town…and the little boy in the town he has come to love.


In the last scene of the movie we see him magically “calling back” his various mechanical parts that have been blown to smithereens all over the earth. I watch those nuts and bolts bravely marching back “home” and I fall to pieces.

It is a different kind of love story…but a love story nevertheless.

So, here’s to love...in all it's wondrous forms!

Chris
http://www.lightheartedpress.com/
http://www.facebook.com/christine.davis

No comments: