Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Stump - not just a tree

I confess I don’t know much about the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. I just love dogs, no matter how colorful their family tree may be.

But when I saw the new Best in Show winner at Westminster I fell in love. Stump, the 10-year old Sussex Spaniel who took the top prize, is the oldest winner in the show’s history. He had retired back in 2004, and after surviving a serious illness came back to wow the crowd.

I’ve said this many times before – there’s something very special about older dogs. They keep showing up in life, because…unlike human beings…they don’t seem to know they’re not young pups anymore. They don’t care about birth certificates, Botox or mirrors – they just want to be loved, have some fun, and curl up by their people at the end of the day.

Congratulations to Stump – a winning branch on his family tree!

Chris

No comments: