Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Project Pooch

If you haven't heard of Project Pooch, you may want to visit their website www.pooch.org to learn more about the important work being done by this organization.

Located in Woodburn, OR, Project Pooch pairs incarcerated youth at a correctional facility with homeless dogs who are looking for their forever homes. With professional guidance, youths learn to train and groom the dogs until the pups are ready to meet potential adopters.

Several years ago I became involved with Maya, a neighborhood dog who was living her life at the end of a chain. The family relinquished Maya to my care, and with the help of several caring people I was able to get Maya into the Project Pooch program. The exuberant pup received some much-needed behavioral assistance, and shortly thereafter was able to find a loving home.

I am grateful Maya and her family came into my life, for they were the inspiration for my holiday book, Old Dog and the Christmas Wish. As I said in the dedication for that book, may Maya run free for many happy years!

Chris

Lighthearted Press
www.lightheartedpress.com

No comments: