Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bringing Jake Home


Where has the time gone? Was it really 12 years ago this week that I walked into Multnomah County Animal Shelter, here in Oregon, wondering if there was a dog waiting there to adopt me?

I walked down the corridor, surrounded by a symphony of barking. “Pick ME!” “Choose ME!” “Please take ME home!”

In the middle of all that sound was the most handsome dog I had ever seen. He sat completely still. I walked over and looked into his soulful eyes. I could feel our hearts reach out and touch each other.

“Please pick me,” I whispered to this magnificent creature.

And that is how Jake came into my life
. It was amazing that he had been there for 2 days, and no one had adopted him. I filled out all the paperwork, but I would have to wait three more days before I could bring him home…just in case someone was looking for him.

I went back the next day, needing to know he was still there. “It’s ok,” I told him, as he watched me walk away. “Just two more days.” I kept calling the shelter, wanting to verify that he was still available.

Finally the day came, and I drove like a crazy person to pick him up. We put the leash on him, and the door was opened. It was like being strapped to a 747 airplane – he launched himself down the hall and out the front door, dragging me behind him.

There is a picture in my book, For Every Dog An Angel, of a woman leaving the animal shelter with her new dog companion. That is me – the only difference is the woman in the picture is standing firmly on the ground – but I was flying!

It will always be one of the best days of my life
.

Cheers,

Chris

No comments: